While out picking out pumpkins for my daughters I saw some nice organic heirloom pumpkins (Winter Luxury Pie) and decided to try my hand in using a couple of these to make a pumpkin pie instead of using canned pumpkin. One note make sure you are using a pumpkin labeled as a sugar or pie pumpkin, using your standard jack-o-lantern variety will lead to very watery and less velvety pie. So in the end, not only does this give you a better tasting pie, but given a organic pumpkin cost $6 a can you also save quite a bit of money with just a little additional work.
Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- 2 cups of pumpkin puree (see above)
- 12 oz. can of evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/3 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Mix sugars, salt, spices, lemon into large bowl. Beat in eggs then pumpkin puree. Finally add the evaporated milk and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Pour mixture into chilled pie shell and make at 425F for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes reduce temperature to 350F. Bake 45-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours
- Note: If you are lacking some of the spices above…you can replace the spices above with pumpkin pie spice.